Date(s) - 06/19/2018
9:00 am - 2:30 pm
Functional Verification and Clock Domain Crossing Analysis Workshop
Tuesday June 19, 2018
9:00am to 12:30pm
Registration begins at 8:30AM
Executive Conference & Training Center
22685 Holiday Park Drive, Suite 60
Sterling, VA 20166
This workshop will deliver an overview of the AutoCheck and Clock Domain Checking (CDC) Applications of Questa Formal.
The AutoCheck feature of the Questa Formal Verification tool from Mentor Graphics allows designers and verification engineers to quickly and easily verify that a design is free of many common functional design issues. This feature uses automatic assertion creation and formal sequential analysis to verify the design before a testbench is available and without user-written assertions. Common design checks performed by AutoCheck include FSM checks, dead code/stuck checks, arithmetic checks, register and bus checks to name a few. Also included is a series of checks for X verification and initialization effects in your design. AutoCheck can also automatically generate an exclusion file for improving simulation code coverage thus reducing the amount of time wasted trying to hit unreachable states.
Multi-clock designs are subject to metastability, which causes mismatches between traditional simulation and silicon reality. Just doing synchronization structures is not sufficient for preventing CDC bugs in silicon. This workshop explains the importance of examining that appropriate synchronizers are in place for all clock domain crossings and analyzing the CDC timing protocols for correct synchronizer operation. Through a set of detailed examples, we show how CDC protocol failure in clock domain crossings will lead to functional problems and silicon failure.
The workshop will be approximately 1.5 hours of presentations, followed by 2.5 hours of hands on labs.
What You Will Learn
- How Questa AutoCheck can improve the quality of your design before running simulation
- How you can verify the effect of X’s and initialization issues in your design before taking it to h/w
- How you can improve your code coverage results through the use of automatically generated exclusions
- A brief overview of Questa AutoCheck using a simple example Clock
How metastability can lead to functional issues in silicon
- Why synchronization structures alone are not sufficient to prevent CDC functional issues
- How Questa CDC enables you to eliminate CDC protocol issues caused by metastability
Bookings are closed for this event.